Monday, May 10, 2010

Line in the sand

"Each one must give as he has made up his mind, not reluctantly or under complusion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. As it is written, 'He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever.'" (2 Corinthians 9:7-9)

How many of you have ever loaned money to someone that wasn't related to you? How many of you would be quick to share that experience with a friend or family member who is considering doing the same for someone else with the hopes of changing their mind? How many of you have turned someone else down that needed a loan (with intent to repay) because you felt cheated by someone else? How many of us view our money, resources and time as, in fact, not our own?

All of these questions have been MAJOR food for thought in my life lately. It is all too sad that life revolves around money, time and resources that we would say sustain us. However, let me give you the verses above by way of a challenge. God loves the cheerful giver and I'm seeking every day to be just that. This is not to pat myself on the back but meerly to lend a life lesson to my brothers and sisters in Christ.

Some of you will remember my 40 days of purpose where I sought to do for others as Christ does for us, most days more times than we can number. So, this challenge stems from that journey because it was then that I grasped for the first time in my 27 years of life that we really don't own anything in this life. But the one thing that I focused, because I seeking to do for others, was money. So, now when I am in a conversation with a friend about financial struggles the one thought I try to leave them with is this: "My money is ultimately God's money and He's going to do with it what He wants to regardless."

In fact, just this week I was trying to help a friend work through some difficult financial struggles with past due bills and what-not, and encouraged her to trust God to provide where only He can. She is a tough nut to crack but I think I'm working through some of that tough outer shell. Last week I had loaned her some money to put in the bank to help cover her until we got paid so that a check wouldn't bounce. I gave the money to her without blinking really....it was like God was pushing me from behind or something. But yesterday when her bills and everything seemed to snowball I gave her the check she had written me back. I told her not to worry about it and that I didn't want that to be another source of stress.

It feels good to give even when it's someone who doesn't totally get it. Giving is so God-honoring...just in the last 3 months I have committed to giving to 3 additional organizations/friends. The groups really don't matter so much but I have felt God really pulling me towards this lately. And in response I have said, "yes, Lord, this is your money, do with it what you will." So, I am blessed to be a bigger part of some ministries that continue to bless others and to help another ministry/family get their mission work started next summer!

So, be cheerful fellow believer, do not complain about giving to others, about having to foot the bill when others can't, or about doing as God has commanded. Be a cheerful giver wherever you see the need. It may be a penny to some but the kingdom of heaven will be your reward.

God bless!

(Pictures of the last few days to come soon!)

2 comments:

April said...

what a great post Vickie! I am sorry that your friend is having such trouble with money. It really IS sad and depressing that money sort of controls our daily lives and how we feel about life in general. There are times when I feel the need to "give" but in my head, I know that I don't have much extra money myself. But there are so many things that you can do for other people to help them out, but you just have to keep it in our mind that they don't "owe" you anything, be it money or a favor, because of your sacrifice.

You are so good to all of your friends, I know, because I am one of them and you are so good to me! Love you!

Vickie said...

Thanks dear. Nice to know someone still cares about this pittiful little blog.