Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Bring on the holidays

While our family always finds an excuse to have guacamole or make a margarita or have chips and salsa, Cinco de Mayo is probably one of my favorite "holidays"! I was all energized and ready to go for our Wednesday at home. Yes, everyone was supposed to be home for the first time in weeks. *3 cheers for family time* Well, something told me it wasn't going to go as planned when my dad called that morning to ask me to pick up Margaret from work on my way home. "Sure, no problem", I said. Get home....my dad is tutoring, which is always does on Wednesday evenings until about 7, my mom is gone to see the doctor Margaret works for to get something for her cold, Stewart is loafing around somewhere and Margaret had agreed to babysit at 6.
So, as soon as I changed my clothes I crack open some Jose and mixed my adult beverage to enjoy while I prepared the taco salad items! Cheese: check. Lettuce: check. Chips: check. Meat: check. Refried beans: check. Salsa: one teaspoon left. Sour cream: in the form of green onion dip....it will have to do. Black olives: nowhere to be found, ugh! Margarita: priceless!!!!
Stewart suggested that I find a funny, clean movie to watch...."okay, I can do that", I said! A few minutes on Netflix and we decided to reminise on An American Tail. Oh how I love Fifel! (Don't judge....it was my favorite childhood movie...next to Sleeping Beauty, of course.) However, I refused to watch it until I caught up on Tuesday's episode of LOST....which I sat in suspense and tears with my taco salad and margarita in hand!
So, when it came time to watch Fifel....no one wanted to watch it with me. All of a sudden the plan changed to playing cards.....how did that happen? Needless to say, I was not happen and watched the movie anyway. Maybe Cinco de Mayo isn't such a fun holiday after all!

BTW - For all of you guys out there: I was sitting at Barnes and Noble today for lunch when two guys came in to pick out a Mother's Day gift off a rack next to the Starbucks area. It was funny but extremely sad at the same time. I am not a huge fan of worldly holidays anyway but if you are going to observe them remember two things: original and/or avoid the holiday display. The holiday display was created as for people who don't want to take time to be original and designed to feed the company money in a split second. If I ever get a present from said display, I will know that the person doesn't know how to take the time to think about an original idea, take the time to put together their own gift or doesn't really care that much about the holiday. Don't get me wrong...I love a box of chocolate but I would much rather receive on a day "just because you care" rather than a day when the world says you should.

Enough soapbox for one day....back to the work on my desk...then off the a 2-year-old's fiesta and many a thing this weekend!!!! God bless and be safe!

No comments: