Sunday, December 6, 2009

Random goodness

Today is my favorite day of the week: Sunday.....for many reasons....but primarily because it's the day we meet in corporate worship and sing praises to our King. It is a day I look forward to because it reminds me to get in His word more during the week...even though it shouldn't take a sermon to remind of that but you know how it goes.
Well, today is the first Sunday I have missed awhile because I have a terrible cold and I have felt just plain awful for several days. I started feeling sniffley back at the beginning of the week because I had a few nights of rough sleep....no real reason just couldn't sleep soundly. Then I spent time on the phone late one night with a dear friend who I haven't talked to in quite some time....it was good to catch up but I was dragging the next day. Then Thursday I worked 14 hours and by Friday I was about dead! So, the rest of the weekend I managed to go about my planned activities (a movie with my sister on Friday night, a Christmas dinner and a choir concert on Saturday) but by this morning I had flat run out of steam and so had my health! My voice was practically gone last night and then I spent most of my time going to sleep last night coughing. It's been a wild week but hopefully I can sleep some more today and be ready to hear that call of duty for work tomorrow. :-( When will I ever learn to slow down?

Something I've been thinking about today, and graciously reminded of by a pastor's wife, is not giving into illnesses on the Lord's Day when you have pushed through and done the things that you wanted to do every other day of the week. I have started learning over the last year or so that illness is just another breeding ground for Satan to keep us from worship. Yes, there are times when it cannot be helped and you just cannot get out of bed (like I was today....I felt AWFUL) but what about the days when you have pushed yourself to the limit and done everything you wanted to do throughout the week and then Sunday comes around and you don't go to church because you are just too tired or you have the sniffles? I have been raised that I would not be staying home unless I was "next to dying" or "simply couldn't function". Now, I've been blessed to have relatively good health and haven't had to stay out of church very much but today I found myself wondering if it was just another situation where Satan got his way or if God was giving me a chance to rest....as the Sabbath should, a day of rest. Here is it 3:25pm and I'm feeling some better but not like I want to get dressed and run out on the town tonight. I just want to lie in bed and sleep and be ready for the week ahead. IS there anything wrong with taking the Lord's Day to rest when you are truly sick or should you push ahead and go anyway, if you aren't carrying something that you can pass to others, of course? I mean you should want to go to worship just like you want to go to a movie or a concert.....so why do end up feeling our worst on Sunday mornings???

Just some food for thought really....but input is good.....so leave some if you wish....


1 comment:

Deborah said...

I have had the same battle in my mind, too. May we both be strong and always do what the Lord wants us to do, whether resting or going.
Have a Blessed New Year!