Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Shrove Tuesday and the Lent Season




I have spent past years giving up things I love, things I rely on, things I have been addicted to for one reason or another, but this year I thought carefully about if I would give anything up. Some give up things for the sacrifice factor, some give up things for mere religious reasons, and others give up because they can and not because they really think it through. However, this year, and especially at this time in my life, I seek to give of my thoughts, my heart (not in a romantic love), my hands, and my mind. I want to give to others just as much if not more than I've been give to lately.
We become lazy in our routine ways of doing things and I have become lazy as I've taken many things for granted....God and His word being at the top of the list. It's like I know He is there and I know He always will be when I need Him but what about those times when things are "going fine" or the times when I should be maturing through reading His word? I feel sure that we all fall short in this area and I will admit that I have been things to change in order to accomplish this task. So, starting tomorrow and hopefully beyond the Lent season I will be establishing the habit/lifestyle of spending quality time with Him....investing time learning of Him and those around me. I intend to do more for others....even if that means writing notes once a week or making a meal for someone. I'm going to give it my best shot and do unto others as I would like to be treated.
Also included in this will be a 40-day blog series with thoughts, stories, pictures, and the like that hopefully will track my progress and make each of you a part of this journey. And I would love to know what each of you are doing to celebrate the ultimate sacrifice made by the Son as He bore our sins and paid that price.

In the meantime, HAPPY FAT/SHROVE TUESDAY.....eat and be merry for tomorrow we fast!

2 comments:

April said...

beautifully written my friend! Can't wait to see ya tonight! yay!!!

Victoria said...

inspiring post. miss you